Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sorta Subbing


The night before blizzard number 2 of the season I decided to stock up at the grocery store and prep for some meals in. I was apparently one of the last people at Dags cause there was little to nothing left. My attempt to recreate a tasty meatless dish my friend M made me the night before, failed- because I ended up having to sub out most of the ingredients last minute. Instead of broccoli slaw as the pasta cameo, I found tofu spaghetti. The store had no mushrooms or cucumbers, so I got cherry tomatoes, string beans and what I think was incorrectly labeled as summer squash.

The recipe is simple enough- treat the tofu as pasta and bring it to a boil. Not sure if it's called stir fry or sauté when you push chopped up vegetables around in a pan with some veggie oil...but ugh, that's what I did with them. The tomatoes got squishy but everything else got nice and browned.

I drained the 'pasta', added tomato sauce and dumped the vegetables in. Delicious and healthy. Though I don't want to go back to the strung out tofu again. It just didn't do it for me. I got to find the broccoli slaw at the store. I'm guessing it's near the vegetables...?

For next time...

1. ditch the tofu.
2. be patient with the veggies and give them a ton of time to cook.
3. don't use cherry tomatoes, they just get squished by the other vegetables.

1 comment:

  1. Tofu pasta? That sounds gross, and I eat tofu raw.

    Instead of sauteing the vegetables, I would suggest cutting them up, put them in a ziplock freezer bag, add the cherry tomatoes, add some spices (dried oregano/parsley/basil mix) minced garlic if you have it, and some salt & pepper. Shake it up, put in a casserole dish and back at 350F for like 20-30 minutes.

    Put that on your pasta, its delicious.

    ReplyDelete