Sunday, January 2, 2011

Chicken breast with squash


Night 1 of my journey to becoming a cook and I've decided to stick with perfecting simple before actually attempting full plates.

The 'recipe' came from my mother via a quick telephone call.
I took one skinless, boneless chicken breast and defrosted it for a few hours. With a thin layer of vegetable oil in a stovetop pan I turned it over every 3-5 minutes. I wasn't expecting so much sizzling and spatting from the oil but I'm hoping that's normal. I added salt and pepper, of course.

I placed pre cut chunks of squash in a pot with about 1 cup of boiling water. I let that sit for about 20 minutes until all the pieces were soft. I drained the pot and then put the soft chunks back inside. I squished the chunks for a few minutes and then added a squirt of maple syrup once the squash was nice and soft.

Notes for next time:

1. measure the amount of water going into the pot-future note, maybe remember to measure everything...always.
2. don't put marinade in the pan with the chicken- I thought I was killing two birds with one stone since I didn't marinade while the chicken was defrosting. But the marinade got all chunky and ended up burning the top layer of the chicken.
3. drain squash more thoroughly- my end plate was a tad more wet then it should've been

Dessert: Skinny Cow's chocolate fudge ice cream cone

Till next time! Eat up!

No comments:

Post a Comment